The construction of the first hospital of Miercurea Ciuc was begun in 1851, then the building was demolished and sold in 1899.
The construction of the second hospital of Miercurea Ciuc was begun in 1888 and the building was handed over in November 1890. The building of the so-called "old hospital" is situated near the Mikó Castle and it currently houses the departments of ophthalmology, dermatology and psychiatry. This hospital was equipped with 70 beds, and at the time of its construction, it was considered a modern health care unit.
The first maternity facility was founded in 1938 and it provided space for 8 pregnant women and 25 babies. In 1942 the maternity facility was moved into the current building of the departments of otorhinolaryngology and physiotherapy.
The plans of the main building of the Emergency County Hospital of Miercurea Ciuc were completed by the end of the year 1970. The construction was helped by the patriotic work of 40,700 people and 30,000 cubic meter of rock and stoney ground was moved. The building was handed over in 1971 and the hospital could start its activity.
Postcard depicting the main building of the hospital (source: csik360.ro)